Since the Kyoto Protocol entered into force in 2005, the CDM has developed very rapidly with more than 4000 projects in the pipeline and a further 120 new projects entering the pipeline every month.
At the same time, the CDM has encountered a number of challenges and weaknesses, including unequal distribution of projects, concerns about environment integrity, and the lack of technology transfer, complex governance procedures, and questions about the CDM’s contribution to sustainable development.
Perspectives 2008 - A Reformed CDM – including new Mechanisms for Sustainable Development tries to answer the question “Where to from here?”
“This second edition of Perspectives explores how the CDM can be improved as negotiators prepare for a post 2012 climate agreement,” says Karen Olsen, Editor of Perspectives and researcher at UNEP Risø Centre.
Perspectives presents diverse insights on reforming and reinforcing the CDM in a post-2012 climate regime from 17 leading actors in the rapidly developing carbon market.
The goal of compiling these views is to better inform the decisions of professionals and policy makers in the lead-up to the Copenhagen COP and beyond.
“The success of the CDM has demonstrated the value of carbon markets as one tool to achieve internationally agreed political targets, but there are still concerns to be addressed and new mechanisms for sustainable development to be considered, “Jørgen Fenhann, co-editor and senior researcher, says.
The challenge being most discussed now is how to build off the existing CDM to create a much greater participation from developing countries post 2012 that can help them substantially transit to a development path free of damaging carbon emissions. It is suggested that one way forward is that the CDM move from a project-based level, to a sector or programme-based level.
Perspectives includes thirteen papers exploring four key issues:
Sustainable development and equity
• Implications for the Development Dividend in a post-2012 regime
• Towards transformational change for SD in Brazil
• Perspectives from Africa
• Ethical and development perspectives on governance
• Assessment of the experience and expectations for the future
• How to improve the existing CDM institutional set up – a governance perspective
• Procedural changes to increase supply
• Promoting technology transfer and developed country financing of CDM projects
Expansion of project categories
• Finance for sustainable urban transport
• Scaling up energy efficiency
Scaling up mitigation
• Sector no-lose targets for developing countries
• The role of LULUCF including REDD in a post 2012-regime
• Replicable business models for programmatic CDM toscale up emission reductions
Perspectives 2008 - a reformed CDM – including new Mechanisms for Sustainable Development is available at: www.uneprisoe.dk and www.cd4cdm.org
Choose From Here
- ► 2009 (88)
- CBE Industries against Power Holiday
- Suzlon acquires Martifer's tranche
- TN wind power producers seek Govt support
- Power Cut Lifted, But Power Holiday Introduced...
- Ministry of Urban Development - Year – End – Revi...
- Cabinet gives go ahead for an integrated energy po...
- Suzlon’s rights issue gets nod
- THE EMPLOYMENT NEWS ISSUE DATED 27.12.08
- Women scientist scholarship scheme
- Land Acquisition & Process : Asst. Manager / Dy. M...
- Dy. Manager / Manager - Regulatory Affairs for MNC...
- Regional Managers for Enercon India Ltd. (EIL) in ...
- How much of the world’s energy could come from sol...
- Govt to spend Rs 9,000 cr annually for revised pay...
- Chennaiyil Thiruvaiyaaru...
- THE EMPLOYMENT NEWS ISSUE DATED 20.12.08.
- Student Project at RISO -Denmark
- Employment News issue dated 13.12.2008
- UNEP Risoe Centre launches publication on a reform...
- Employment News - 09 Dec 2008 - 15 Dec 2008
- “Solar energy, the ultimate option to meet growing...
- Cong wins Delhi, Mizoram, Raj; BJP MP, Chhattisgar...
- RRB Energy Ltd. (Pioneer's in Wind Power Since 198...
- Your Career With Ford @ Coimbatore
- Bombay -26/11/08 -Tribute [My Tamil Poem]
- Oil falls to lowest in more than three years
- Employment News issue dated 06.12.2008
- Vestas to supply 100 wind turbines for Thanet offs...
- What is Very important for us(Indians)?
- "1090" - ALL INDIA TOLL-FREE Terror Help-line
- My Tamil Works -An intro - Video
- National AIDS Control Programme
- Petrol price cut by Rs 9, diesel by Rs 4
- BHEL, TNEB form JV to set up supercritical thermal...
- Acciona's Indian wind farms certified as CDM proje...
- ▼ December (35)