MUMBAI: The fate of 2,500 odd employees working for giant Lehman Brothers in India remains uncertain following its parent company's decision to file for bankruptcy protection in the US.
Lehman said in a statement that its New York office intends to file for bankruptcy protection as it owes over 600 billion to lenders.
However, it highlighted that no other Lehman brothers US subsidiaries or affiliates, including its broker-dealer and investment management subsidiaries, are included in the filing.
The filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, which allows a company to restructure while creditor claims are held at bay, was made in the US Bankruptcy Court in the Southern District of New York by the investment bank's holding company, Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc.
The firm's public relations agency said that no official from Lehman would like to talk to the media. An employee said there was no work and a series of meetings were held today.
Lehman set up BPO operations in India in 2005 and according to the fact sheet on the firm, the centre saw the number of employees going up by eight times by the middle of this year and had declared its plans to grow the operations. In fact, it was recruiting till as recently as couple of months earlier.
The company has in all about 2,500 people working for it in India, including those in the BPO unit. Recent news reports said the company had asked a section of its BPO staff to quit.
Over 5,000 workers in the UK had lost their jobs after the collapse of US investment bank Lehman Brothers.
Choose From Here
- ► 2009 (88)
- Reading : Get rid of those speed breakers
- Chinese astronaut walks in space
- Hevesy Laboratory provides emergency assistance to...
- Your Space Dream is possible now - @ Atlantis
- At least 125 people have been killed in a stampede...
- CFLs to soon sell for Rs 15 only
- Wind Energy Manager / Dy. Manager / Engineer @ Ban...
- Lars Martiny is new head of the Radiation Research...
- Ph.D. scholarship - For The Radiation Research Div...
- BIO ENERGY INFO....
- From RISO : New network to turn waste into gold
- Effects of climate change by 2020
- Suzlon Signs Turbine Deals
- Google sees energy solution in the math
- Chandrayaan to be unveiled today
- First Carbon Trading Firm Launches in South Korea
- IT cos ask recruitment agencies to stop hiring
- Live Traffic Portal for Fantastic Fives[Delhi,Chen...
- Uncertain times for 2,500 Lehman India staff
- Satyam Computers to axe 4,500 employees
- India Inc recruits less people in FY08
- Tatas to rollout 1,000 Nanos from Pune plant
- Will going vegetarian help save the world?
- Slowdown what? Infy to hire 25,000 in 2008
- LM Glasfiber - WT Blade Major - Press release...
- LM Glasfiber establishes R&D office at Risø DTU
- If i was made commissioner police...visualises Kir...
- Indian crude basket may range between $99-$101/bar...
- Oil price falls to below $100 per barrel
- Deutsche Messe presents three high-profile trade f...
- Birth, death certificates can now be downloaded
- Singur stalemate ends
- NSG waiver to India-A breakthrough, says Kakodkar
- Price control steps not to hurt growth: Manmohan
- Tata suspends Singur work; looking at alternate op...
- PM's Independence Day Speech, 2008
- Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan... Education for All
- Our President Address to the Nation on the Eve of ...
- Suzlon to buy out Martifer stake in REpower
- Penalty fails to curb power overdrawal (What will...
- Dr. Subbarao to Head RBI From 5th Sep'08 - By Unio...
- A Good News: (More talktime on pre-paid top-ups fr...
- Mamata says work at Tata plant can resume
- Will Maoist Nepal put China first?
- Govt plans no cut in fuel price - minister
- Aviation fuel to cost less, but airlines against f...
- ▼ September (46)