The Radiation Research Division at Risø DTU is seeking a Ph.D. student for start in 2008
Apply before: 19.10.2008 at 12:00 (noon)
- development of a miniaturized OSL instrument for in-situ dating on Mars
Optically Stimulated Luminescence (OSL) refers to the emission of light when a crystal is exposed to light after a prior exposure to ionising radiation. This phenomenon is used extensively for the retrospective determination of dose, e.g. in radiation protection and the dating of geological sediments. In particular, OSL has considerable potential for the in-situ dating of sediments on Mars. Remote observations give a clear indication that Mars is a dynamic planet and that the martian surface has been mobilised in the recent past. Dating the last time that sediments were transported would make a crucial contribution to our understanding of the periodicity of martian climate change.
Risø DTU is leading an ESA sponsored project “Planetary Surface Dating Instrument” to develop an instrument that will carry out in-situ luminescence dating of martian sediments. The international project group is based in Denmark, the UK and the Netherlands. The Ph.D. student will become a member of the project group and contribute towards developing the instrument. This will involve participating in the design and construction of a miniaturised luminescence dating instrument, using miniaturized light detectors, ionizing radiation sources, optical excitation sources and IR sources for heating.
The research involves:
a) Detailed assessment and performance analysis of suitable component
b) Development and assessment of different sub-unit concepts to allow trade-off analysis with respect to performance, weight and power consumption
c) Optimising instrument design using working models of the optical and heating subunits. After construction of an integrated instrument the overall performance will be evaluated against design specifications using field samples representative of martian materials
A master degree in physics and/or electronic or mechanical engineering. A background in a) electronics, with a good knowledge in programming and data communication, and b) optics, with both experimental and modelling skills is desirable
Good communication skills, with ability to speak and write in English
An ability to work in a group.
We offer an exciting and challenging job in an international environment with good possibilities for professional and personal development. Risø National Laboratory for Sustainable Energy is part of the Technical University of Denmark (DTU), which is a leading technical university in northern Europe and benchmarks with best universities in the world. The successful candidate will become a member of an environment with activities and expertise in radiation physics, dosimetry, radioecology and medical applications of radioisotopes. The Radiation Physics Programme has strong expertise in luminescence physics and instrumentation.
Terms of employment
The terms of employment will be in accordance with those of the scientific staff at universities. The scholarship for the PhD degree is subject to academic approval, and the successful candidate will be enrolled in one of the general degree programmes of DTU. The position is for a fixed duration of 3 years.
We must have your online application by 19 October 2008. Please open the link "apply online" and fill in the application form and attach your application and CV. Please attach your documentation of M.Sc.-degree, list of grades of your M.Sc.- and B.Sc./B.Eng.-education. In case of a non-Danish degree, please inform about highest and lowest passing grade of the grading system.
Risø requires variety and supports equal opportunities irrespective of sex and ethnic background.
Please contact Senior Scientist Mayank Jain, +45 4677 4909, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Head of Programme Bent Lauritzen, +45 4677 4906, email@example.com.
Additional information about Risø DTUand the devision can be found on www.risoe.dtu.dk. Information about the general requirements for enrolment and planning of the scholarship studies at DTU may be obtained from the Ph.D. programme office at +45 4525 2525 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply online here
Source : RISO
Choose From Here
- ► 2009 (88)
- Reading : Get rid of those speed breakers
- Chinese astronaut walks in space
- Hevesy Laboratory provides emergency assistance to...
- Your Space Dream is possible now - @ Atlantis
- At least 125 people have been killed in a stampede...
- CFLs to soon sell for Rs 15 only
- Wind Energy Manager / Dy. Manager / Engineer @ Ban...
- Lars Martiny is new head of the Radiation Research...
- Ph.D. scholarship - For The Radiation Research Div...
- BIO ENERGY INFO....
- From RISO : New network to turn waste into gold
- Effects of climate change by 2020
- Suzlon Signs Turbine Deals
- Google sees energy solution in the math
- Chandrayaan to be unveiled today
- First Carbon Trading Firm Launches in South Korea
- IT cos ask recruitment agencies to stop hiring
- Live Traffic Portal for Fantastic Fives[Delhi,Chen...
- Uncertain times for 2,500 Lehman India staff
- Satyam Computers to axe 4,500 employees
- India Inc recruits less people in FY08
- Tatas to rollout 1,000 Nanos from Pune plant
- Will going vegetarian help save the world?
- Slowdown what? Infy to hire 25,000 in 2008
- LM Glasfiber - WT Blade Major - Press release...
- LM Glasfiber establishes R&D office at Risø DTU
- If i was made commissioner police...visualises Kir...
- Indian crude basket may range between $99-$101/bar...
- Oil price falls to below $100 per barrel
- Deutsche Messe presents three high-profile trade f...
- Birth, death certificates can now be downloaded
- Singur stalemate ends
- NSG waiver to India-A breakthrough, says Kakodkar
- Price control steps not to hurt growth: Manmohan
- Tata suspends Singur work; looking at alternate op...
- PM's Independence Day Speech, 2008
- Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan... Education for All
- Our President Address to the Nation on the Eve of ...
- Suzlon to buy out Martifer stake in REpower
- Penalty fails to curb power overdrawal (What will...
- Dr. Subbarao to Head RBI From 5th Sep'08 - By Unio...
- A Good News: (More talktime on pre-paid top-ups fr...
- Mamata says work at Tata plant can resume
- Will Maoist Nepal put China first?
- Govt plans no cut in fuel price - minister
- Aviation fuel to cost less, but airlines against f...
- ▼ September (46)