SINGUR/KOLKATA: Whether it's a scramble for a face-saving exit or pressure from the ranks, Mamata Banerjee appears to be softening and creating a glimmer of hope for an early resolution to the Singur impasse.
Even as cops started opening up parts of the Durgapur Expressway - on which the Nano plant is situated - Mamata, on the ninth day of the Singur siege, scaled down her defiance and gave a go-ahead to the Tatas to work at the small car factory that had come to a halt for the last four days.
Fearing security of the workers in the face of threats from agitators, Tatas had shut down the facility and even threatened to pull out their investment.
"We want the work to resume in the factory. We are not against the Tatas. Let there be talks to resolve the impasse," Mamata said.
The Trinamool chief also sent her emissary and leader of the opposition in the West Bengal assembly, Partha Chatterjee, to governor Gopalkrishna Gandhi to convey, among other things, that she was ready for talks over the return of land to the unwilling farmers.
SOURCE : ET
Choose From Here
- ► 2009 (88)
- Reading : Get rid of those speed breakers
- Chinese astronaut walks in space
- Hevesy Laboratory provides emergency assistance to...
- Your Space Dream is possible now - @ Atlantis
- At least 125 people have been killed in a stampede...
- CFLs to soon sell for Rs 15 only
- Wind Energy Manager / Dy. Manager / Engineer @ Ban...
- Lars Martiny is new head of the Radiation Research...
- Ph.D. scholarship - For The Radiation Research Div...
- BIO ENERGY INFO....
- From RISO : New network to turn waste into gold
- Effects of climate change by 2020
- Suzlon Signs Turbine Deals
- Google sees energy solution in the math
- Chandrayaan to be unveiled today
- First Carbon Trading Firm Launches in South Korea
- IT cos ask recruitment agencies to stop hiring
- Live Traffic Portal for Fantastic Fives[Delhi,Chen...
- Uncertain times for 2,500 Lehman India staff
- Satyam Computers to axe 4,500 employees
- India Inc recruits less people in FY08
- Tatas to rollout 1,000 Nanos from Pune plant
- Will going vegetarian help save the world?
- Slowdown what? Infy to hire 25,000 in 2008
- LM Glasfiber - WT Blade Major - Press release...
- LM Glasfiber establishes R&D office at Risø DTU
- If i was made commissioner police...visualises Kir...
- Indian crude basket may range between $99-$101/bar...
- Oil price falls to below $100 per barrel
- Deutsche Messe presents three high-profile trade f...
- Birth, death certificates can now be downloaded
- Singur stalemate ends
- NSG waiver to India-A breakthrough, says Kakodkar
- Price control steps not to hurt growth: Manmohan
- Tata suspends Singur work; looking at alternate op...
- PM's Independence Day Speech, 2008
- Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan... Education for All
- Our President Address to the Nation on the Eve of ...
- Suzlon to buy out Martifer stake in REpower
- Penalty fails to curb power overdrawal (What will...
- Dr. Subbarao to Head RBI From 5th Sep'08 - By Unio...
- A Good News: (More talktime on pre-paid top-ups fr...
- Mamata says work at Tata plant can resume
- Will Maoist Nepal put China first?
- Govt plans no cut in fuel price - minister
- Aviation fuel to cost less, but airlines against f...
- ▼ September (46)