Development of long superconducting tapes with improved engineering properties, produced by a green processing route.
The Risø National Laboratory for Sustainable Energy, which is part of the Technical University of Denmark, is seeking a motivated scientists for a PhD position within a new research project aiming at developing superconducting coated conductors.
The final goal of the project is to produce a 100m long tape using a cheap, water based sol-gel process for the manufacture of REBa2Cu3O7 thin films by dip-coating on both sides of bi-axially textured metal substrates by year 2014. The work will encompass various aspects including chemical technology, metal and ceramics processing, physical characterization, design, building and testing a pre-pilot production plant. This project is part of a long-term research program aiming at producing superconducting wind-mill generators.
This project will be centered on the deposition of buffer layers on both sides of the metal substrates by means of dip-coating. The work will mostly encompass:
Preparation of coating slurries and studies of their wetting properties
Studies of gel decomposition, in-situ microstructure evolution by means of x-ray (synchrotron) diffraction and environmental electron microscopy
Composition, microstructure and texture characterization using electron microscopy and x-ray diffraction
Surface characterization (AFM, grazing incidence X-ray diffraction, etc.)
Development of continuous deposition and characterization process for long tapes (up to 100m).
Master of Science or Master of Civil Engineering within metallurgy, materials science, physics, chemistry or equivalent
Experience with laboratory work
Experience with at least some aspects listed in the above work descriptions
Ability to work independently and to be a part of a dynamical group
Good communication skills in English, both written and spoken.
An exciting and challenging education in an international environment. Good possibilities for professional and personal growth. A family friendly organization with flexible working hours.
Terms of employment
The terms of employment will be in accordance with those of scientific staff at universities. Most of the project will be performed at the Materials Research Division of the Risø National Laboratory for Sustainable Energy unit of DTU in Roskilde. The candidates are further expected to spend some time at external international measurement facilities and in other departments of DTU. The starting date is 1 January 2010 or upon agreement. The position is for a fixed duration of 3 years.
We must have your online application by 16 March 2009. Please open the link "apply online" and fill in the application form and attach your application and CV.
For further information, please contact Senior Scientist Jean-Claude Grivel, +45 4677 4739 or Research Specialist Niels Hessel Andersen, +45 4677 4711.
On the Web you can read more about DTU on dtu.dk/English.aspx, about Risø on risoe.dtu.dk and about the Materials Research Division on
Choose From Here
- Welcome to Wind Power Asia 2009 - Excelling with W...
- GE to double wind turbine deliveries to China
- RANK & BOLT Awards For Students And Teachers
- THE EMPLOYMENT NEWS ISSUE DATED 28.02.09
- NRG Energy, Inc. to Develop Up To 500 Megawatts of...
- Suzlon utilizes solar energy to power wind farm si...
- Global wind energy capacity grew by 28.8 percent i...
- 22.02.09-சென்னை -அமைதி நடைபயணத்தில் கலந்து கொள்வோம...
- Wind Day Special... June'15
- THE EMPLOYMENT NEWS ISSUE DATED 21.02.09.
- Navajo Wind Energy Secures Additional 200 MW Proje...
- PhD student – climate change effects on soil carbo...
- The Wind Day goes global: new website and photo co...
- Enginner India Limited need B.E. / B.Tech...
- Vestas [World Wind Energy Major] Graduate Programm...
- PhD position at Risø DTU - development of long sup...
- THE EMPLOYMENT NEWS ISSUE DATED 14.02.09
- PhD Summer School: Remote sensing for wind energy(...
- RISO-PhD student position – High temperature alkal...
- RISO Wants Master degree Holders - to do Phd in so...
- Design Engineer for DOEACC - Last date 20.02.09
- 4th Risø International Energy Conference 2009, 14 ...
- THE EMPLOYMENT NEWS ISSUE DATED 07.02.09
- THE EMPLOYMENT NEWS ISSUE DATED 31.01.09
- ▼ February (24)